Skip to main content

Get Help

Rent and Utility Assistance

Types of Assistance: 

  • Rental Assistance
    • Must provide a delinquent notice or eviction letter 
  • Utility Assistance (Electric, Gas, Water)
    • Must provide a disconnect notice
  • We are unable to assist with mortgages at this time. 

Requirements for Assistance: 

  • Resident of Wyandotte County
  • Have income that does not exceed 150% of the federal poverty level
  • The lease/bill is in applicants name & applicant lives at that address 
  • Demonstrates ability to stabilize financial situation within 30-60 days 
  • Landlord has a rental license for the property 
  • Past Due Rent notice from landlord (for rent assistance)
  • Disconnect notice (for utility assistance) 

Note: If you have receieved rent and/or utility assistance from Cross-Lines and/or any other agency in the last 12 months you may not be eligible for assistance.

Required Documentation:

  • Proof of Wyandotte County residency (bill, lease, ID)
  • Proof of Eviction Notice, Delinquent Notice, or Disconnect Notice
  • For rental assistance, lease will be needed
  • Proof of Identification for all household members
  • Proof of economic hardship (Examples include: proof of income, notice of layoff or reduced work hours, statements of public benefits, workforce development program documentation, medical paperwork, bills from medical provider 

NOTE: The first step applicants should take if they are concerned about paying their rent/utilities or facing eviction/utility disconnect is to contact their utility company, landlord or lease agent by phone or email right away to let them know if you may need assistance or a payment plan for your next monthly payment. Early communication with tenants and landlords/utility companies allows for more time to respond and explore all options.

What is the process once I apply?

  1. The application can be accessed by clicking the link below. 
  2. Assistance from Cross-Lines may also be available. Please keep in mind that Cross-Lines' funds are limited, and we may only be able to make a partial payment towards your bill. 
  3. For those who are unable to apply online, please call the office at (913) 281-3388 to be connected with someone who can assist. Please note you may have to leave a message, but we will contact you within 1 business day. 
  4. Applications will be reviewed weekly. Within 10 business days of application receipt, applicants will be contacted by phone for additional screening or notified of application denial. No financial commitments will be awarded during this screening. 
  5. After screening is completed, each application and screening will be reviewed by staff for approvals. Our intention is to make commitments within 10 business days of application receipt.

**A submitted application is not a guarantee of financial assistance. Approval is subject to availability of funding. Our staff will contact you within 10 days once your application has been reviewed.** 


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who is eligible for Rent and Utility Assistance? 
A. Applications are restricted to: 

  • Wyandotte County residents 
  • Households with income levels below 50% of the Area Median Income. 
  • Households that have experienced an economic hardship due to Covid-19

Q. What supporting documentation will I need to provide when submitting the application for Emergency Assistance? 
A. The following supporting documentation is required to be submitted electronically during the screening process: 

  • Identification for each household member (examples: drivers license, state ID, ID from another country, birth certificate, social security card, shot records, tax return) 
  • Proof of Current Income (e.g. award letter, child support, recent pay stub, Social Security benefits, etc.) 
  • Copy of your current lease/rental agreement and/or Copy of your current utility bill
  • Other documents as requested to demonstrate economic impact and/or financial need

Q. What if I don't have access to a scanner or fax machine in order to submit the required documents? 
A. The application will allow you to take a picture with your phone. If you are still unable to submit your documents the case manager will work with you to make other arrangements.  

Q. Am I guaranteed assistance once I apply? 
A. No. Complete applications are reviewed weekly. Only fully completed applications that provide all required documentation will receive financial commitments. Applicants who receive a notice of incomplete application with instructions on missing information must successfully provide all necessary information to move their application forward. Incomplete applications shall be on hold until all information is received. Applicants who fail to provide all required information or are found ineligible based on the program’s requirements will not receive assistance. Applications that could be considered eligible may not receive assistance if funding is no longer available based on demand. 

Q. I have received assistance from Cross-Lines before, can I apply now? 
A. If you have received assistance from Cross-Lines or any other agency in the last 12 months, we may not be able to assist you at this time. If we are unable to assist you, please contact United Way by calling 211 to see what other resources are available. 

Q. If I was determined to be ineligible for assistance, can I apply again? 
A. Yes. You can create a subsequent application request for assistance which will restart the process for you. A change in circumstance or documentation may result in a change in your eligibility. If a previous application was determined ineligible due to misrepresentation of eligibility, you would not be eligible to reapply. 

Q. How much assistance can an applicant be provided? 
A. Each applicant's need is taken into consideration during the screening process. Navigation staff will work with applicants to determine a housing stabilization plan. 

**Applications are subject to the availability of funding and staffing. The application will periodically be turned off to allow our staff to process the applications that come in. Most weeks the application is turned on for about 30 minutes ONE of these four times:
Monday 10:00am
Monday 2:00pm

Tuesday 10:00am
Tuesday 2:00pm.** 

We are only accepting applications for Utility Assistance at this time.