Statement from Cross-Lines Regarding Coronavirus
Cross-Lines provides a crucial safety net for our neighbors in need in Kansas City and we care deeply about our community, our clients and the more than 1,800 volunteers who help us provide critical services throughout the year. We have been closely monitoring the news and developments related to the outbreak of COVID-19 (coronavirus) across the United States and here in the Kansas City metro area.
During this uncertain time, we completely understand the concerns of our valued volunteers, many of whom are over age 65 and considered a high-risk for coronavirus. We also want to protect our clients who are also a vulnerable population. To help protect the health and safety of our clients, volunteers and staff, we developed a plan to provide crucial services while minimizing exposure to unnecessary health risks as much as we can.
The following changes will be in place for the foreseeable future:
1. Community Kitchen: Rather than providing hot meals served cafeteria style, we will distribute sack meals for breakfasts and lunches. We will be purchasing items for these meals such as granola bars, breakfast bars, tuna and chicken to-go kits and fresh fruit. Our dining room will not be open for guests to gather and eat together. Volunteers who are still willing to help us prepare sack lunches for our clients are welcome and appreciated.
Clients can pick up the sack meals between 7-11AM Monday-Friday.
2. Emergency Shower and Laundry services: We will offer these services on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings only from 6-8 AM.
3. Food Pantry/Commodities: Our Food Pantry and Senior Commodities program will continue to be open and serving clients. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 9AM-12PM. For the safety of our clients, staff, and volunteers, we ask that clients please regard all signage, arrows, and safety barriers when entering the Food Pantry. Clients should be prepared to show a form of identification upon arrival. Diapers and a limited supply of toiletries will be available to clients upon request.
Important: The Food Pantry is only available to Wyandotte County residents at this time. Residents outside WyCo can call 211 for directions to their nearest food bank.
Our Senior Commodities in-home deliveries will continue as normal.
4. Rent/Utility Assistance and Case Management: The application for rent and utility assistance is now available on our website. Please visit www.cross-lines/get-help to find the application. If you are unable to access the application, please call our office and leave a message. Someone will follow up with you to guide you through the application over the phone.
Cross-Lines staff will still be available via phone and email during regular office hours (8AM-4:30PM).
5. Thrift Store: The Cross-Lines Thrift Store is be CLOSED. We will not be accepting any donations at this time. For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and clients, the Thrift Store will remain closed until further notice.
We will continue to constantly monitor recommendations from the CDC and local health department and make any recommended changes that are necessary to protect the community.
For the safety of everyone on our campus, we have posted signage and are asking visitors to not enter the facilities if they are sick or experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath. We thoroughly and regularly clean all areas with anti-bacterial cleaners, provide hand sanitizer in all areas and encourage all staff, volunteers and visitors to wash their hands frequently and regularly.
In challenging times where physical containment measures are necessary, it is important to Cross-Lines that we stay connected to our community and each other in different ways. Please feel free to call us, email us and follow our website and social media channels for updates. We appreciate your support during this challenging time.