Skip to main content

How to Get Help

What We Do

Our dedicated case managers are here to help determine your needs and match services to your situation. You will need to make an appointment with a case manager and bring income documentation as well as proof of residency. Please call us at 913-281-3388 and we will guide you and answer your questions.

If you are seeking help with your rent or utility bill, please know that we have very limited available funds and we require appointments with a case manager to obtain assistance. You must be a resident of Wyandotte County to be eligible for assistance. We take calls every Monday morning at 8 a.m. and appointments are given in the order calls are received. If you need this program, please be sure to call and schedule with our volunteer receptionist. Due to the limited number of resources and staff, we are unable accept walk-ins for this program. You must keep your appointment time or call in advance to reschedule to receive services.

If you would like to know more about the programs and services Cross-Lines offers, please visit Our Programs, or if you would like to request services, please contact us at 913-281-3388.