Skip to main content

Other Ways to Get Help

Rent and Utilities

If you have been impacted by Covid-19, check out the Kansas Eviction Prevention Program (KEPP).
The Kansas Eviction Prevention Program (KEPP) provides rental assistance to households that have missed one or more rent payment(s) as a result of the COVID pandemic. Landlords and tenants apply via a joint online process. If the application is approved, the landlord receives rental assistance funds directly from KEPP, applies KEPP funds to the tenant’s account, and waives late fees for the month(s) assistance was awarded. Approved tenants are eligible for a maximum of nine months of assistance, not to exceed $5,000 per household. Get more information here.

Please visit KC Partnership for Economic Relief or United Way 2-1-1 to find other agencies providing rent and utility assistance.

National Federal Eviction Moratorium
A federal eviction moratorium issued by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is in effect from September 4, 2020 to December 31, 2020. The temporary moratorium on evictions extends vital protections to tens of millions of renters at risk of eviction for nonpayment of rent during the global pandemic.

To be eligible, renters must meet the following qualifications:

  • You have used your “best efforts” to obtain government rental assistance;
  • You do not expect to earn more than $99,000 in 2020 (or $198,000 if you are married and filed a joint tax return), or you did not need to report income to the federal government in 2019, or you received an Economic Impact Payment this year;
  • You have been experiencing a “substantial” loss of household income because of a layoff or reduced work hours, or you have “extraordinary” out-of-pocket medical expenses (defined as an unreimbursed medical expense that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for the year);
  • You have been making your best effort to make partial rent payments as close to the full amount due as possible; and
  • Being evicted would cause you to become homeless or you would have to move in with a friend or family member (live “doubled up”).

If you meet all of these conditions listed above, you must send a signed declaration to your landlord. See a template attached to these Frequently Asked Questions [Español].