Skip to main content

How to Apply

Rent and Utilities- Do not use

Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (KERA)

The Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (KERA) will provide rental and utility assistance to households experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID pandemic. To qualify for this program you must:

  • Tenant rents their home.
  • Tenant’s 2020 household income did not exceed 80 percent of their area’s median income.
  • At least one member of the tenant household is experiencing documented financial hardship as a result of the COVID pandemic. Hardship may include loss of employment, reduction in household income, or significant COVID-related expenses (medical bills, personal protective equipment, child care costs, equipment or internet costs to enable online work/schooling, etc.).
  • At least one member of the tenant household is uncertain where they will stay or may become homeless without housing assistance.
  • Applicant can provide valid proof of identification.

For more information on that program, please click here: KS Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

For those who don’t qualify for the KERA program, Cross-Lines may be able to assist.


Do you qualify for rent or utility assistance from Cross-Lines? 

  • Cross-Lines only accepts online applications for assistance with past due rent or past due utilities for Wyandotte County residents only who do not qualify for the KERA program.
  • We are unable to assist with mortgages at this time. 

A submitted application is not a guarantee of financial assistance. Our staff will contact you once your application has been reviewed. 
**Approval subject to availability of funding. A submitted application does not guarantee assistance** 

Requirements for Assistance: 

  • Resident of Wyandotte County  
  • The lease/bill is in applicants name & applicant lives at that address 
  • Demonstrates ability to stabilize financial situation within 30-60 days 
  • Landlord’s rental license for the property 
  • Past Due Rent notice from landlord (for rent assistance)
  • Disconnect notice (for utility assistance) 

Required Documentation:

  • Proof of Wyandotte County residency (bill, lease, ID)
  • Proof of Eviction Notice, Delinquent Notice, or Disconnect Notice
  • For rental assistance, lease will be needed
  • Proof of Identification for all household members
  • Proof of economic hardship (Examples include: proof of income, notice of layoff or reduced work hours, statements of public benefits, workforce development program documentation, medical paperwork, bills from medical providers)


What is the process once I apply?

  1. The application can be accessed by clicking the link below. You may be directed to the Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (KERA) if you qualify. This program is for renters in Kansas who have directly or indirectly been impacted financially by Covid-19. There are millions of dollars in assistance available through KERA (rent, utilities, internet) that can cover up to 12 months of past due bills (amount due accumulated between April 2020 to the Present).
  2. Assistance from Cross-Lines may be available for those who do not qualify for the KERA program. Please keep I mind that Cross-Lines funds are limited, and we may only be able to make a partial payment towards your bill. 
  3. For those who are unable to apply online, please call the office at (913) 281-3388 to be connected with someone who can assist. Please note you may have to leave a message, but we will contact you within 1 business day. 
  4. Applications will be reviewed weekly. Within 5 business days of application receipt, applicants will be contacted by phone for additional screening or notified of application denial. No financial commitments will be awarded during this screening. 
  5. After screening is completed, each application and screening will be reviewed by staff for approvals. Our intention is to make commitments within 7 business days of application receipt.

NOTE: The first step renters should take if they are concerned about paying their rent/utilities or facing eviction/utility disconnect is to contact their landlord or lease agent by phone or email right away to let them know if you may need rental assistance or a payment plan for your next monthly rental payment. Early communication with tenants and landlords allows for more time to respond and explore all options.