Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Rent and Utilities- Do not use

Q. Who is eligible for Rent and Utility Assistance? 

  • A. Applications are restricted to: 
    • Wyandotte County residents 
    • Households with income levels below 50% of the Area Median Income. 
    • Households at risk of homelessness 
    • Households that do not qualify for the KERA program 

Q. What supporting documentation will I need to provide when submitting the application for Emergency Assistance? 

  • A. The following supporting documentation is required to be submitted electronically during the screening process: 
    • Identification for each household member (examples: drivers license, state ID, ID from another country, birth certificate, social security card, shot records, tax return) 
    • Proof of Current Income (e.g. award letter, child support, recent pay stub, Social Security benefits, etc.) 
    • Copy of your current lease/rental agreement and/or Copy of your current utility bill 

Q. What if I don't have access to a scanner or fax machine in order to submit the required documents? 

  • A. Taking a photo with your phone of your documents and attaching it to an email to your case manager will be fine. Your case manager will work with you if you need to make other arrangements.  

Q. Am I guaranteed assistance once I apply? 

  • A. No. Complete applications are reviewed weekly. Only fully completed applications that provide all required documentation will receive financial commitments. Applicants who receive a notice of incomplete application with instructions on missing information must successfully provide all necessary information to move their application forward. Incomplete applications shall be on hold until all information is received. Applicants who fail to provide all required information or are found ineligible based on the program’s requirements will not receive assistance. Applications that could be considered eligible may not receive assistance if funding is no longer available based on demand. 

Q. I have received assistance from Cross-Lines before, can I apply now? 

  • A. If you have received assistance from Cross-Lines in the last 6 months, we will not be able to assist you at this time. If we are unable to assist you, please contact United Way by calling 211 to see what other resources are available. 

Q. If I was determined to be ineligible for assistance, can I apply again? 

  • A. Yes. You can create a subsequent application request for assistance which will restart the process for you. A change in circumstance or documentation may result in a change in your eligibility. If a previous application was determined ineligible due to misrepresentation of eligibility, you would not be eligible to reapply. 

Q. How much assistance can an applicant be provided? 

  • A. Each applicant's need is taken into consideration during the screening process. There are caps on assistance, but case management staff will work with applicants to determine a housing stabilization plan.