Skip to main content

Rent and Utilities

Get Help

Rent and Utilities

Due to the increased need for rent and utility assistance, we are taking applications as we have availability.

Cross-lines has begun taking online applications for Wyandotte County residents requesting assistance with rent and/or utility payments. The application can be accessed by clicking the link below. For those who are unable to apply online, they can call the office at (913) 281-3388 to be connected with someone who can assist. Please note you may have to leave a message, but we will contact you within 1 business day.

Applications will be reviewed weekly. Within 2 business days of application receipt, applicants will be contacted by phone for additional screening or notified of application denial. No financial commitments will be awarded during this screening. After screening is completed, each application and screening will be reviewed by staff for approvals. Our intention is to make commitments within 5 days of application receipt.

Note: The first step renters should take if they are concerned about paying their rent/utilities or facing eviction/utility disconnect is to contact their landlord or lease agent by phone or email right away to let them know if you may need rental assistance or a payment plan for your next monthly rental payment. Early communication with tenants and landlords allows for more time to respond and explore all options.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who is eligible for Rent and Utility Assistance?
A. Application are restricted to Wyandotte County residents. Prioritization will be made for:

  • Households who have suffered a substantial loss of income resulting from COVID-19, including job loss, reduction in compensated hours of work, or other loss of income related to COVID-19, and do not have financial resources to cover their rent or utility cost may be eligible to receive assistance.
  • Households with income levels below 50% of the Area Median Income.
  • Households at risk of homelessness

Q. What supporting documentation will I need to provide when submitting the application for Emergency Assistance?
A. The following supporting documentation is required to be submitted electronically after the screening process:

  • Valid Picture ID
  • Social Security Card (or Birth Certificate) for you and every member of the household
  • Proof of Current Income (e.g. award letter, child support, recent pay stub, Social Security benefits, etc.)
  • If economic hardship is due to Covid-19, Proof of Income pre-Covid-19 (e.g. award letter, child support, recent pay stub, Social Security benefits, etc.)
  • Copy of your current lease/rental agreement and/or Copy of your current utility bill

Q. What if I don't have access to a scanner or fax machine in order to submit the required documents?
A. Documents can be submitted by sending an email of a scanned copy or picture of documents to case management staff after the screening interview. Arrangements can be made for special accommodations

Q. Am I guaranteed assistance once I apply?
A. No. Complete applications are reviewed weekly. Only fully completed applications that provide all required documentation will receive financial commitments. Applicants who receive a notice of incomplete application with instructions on missing information must successfully provide all necessary information to move their application forward. Incomplete applications shall be on hold until all information is received. Applicants who fail to provide all required information or are found ineligible based on the program’s requirements will not receive assistance. Applications that could be considered eligible may not receive assistance if funding is no longer available based on demand.

Q. If I was determined to be ineligible for assistance, can I apply again?
A. Yes. You can create a subsequent application request for assistance which will restart the process for you. A change in circumstance or documentation may result in a change in your eligibility. If a previous application was determined ineligible due to misrepresentation of eligibility, you would not be eligible to reapply.

Q. How much assistance can an applicant be provided?
A. Each applicant's need is taken into consideration during the screening process. There are caps on assistance, but case management staff will work with applicants to determine a housing stabilization plan.